A mad idea in mid August started the ball rolling…
To Swim the Devon Coast from Coombe Martin in North Devon to Lyme Regis in East Devon. According to the Southwest Coast Path guide the distance is 355km.
The pool length is 34m so 10,441 lengths were needed! The Challenge could be divided into:
- North Devon, Coombe Martin to Marsland Mouth which is 138km (4059 lengths),
- South Devon, Plymouth to Starcross, 167km (4912 lengths),
- East Devon, Exmouth to Lyme Regis 50km (1471 lengths).
Help and advice was received from Ken who runs the pool website & the JustGiving page was a challenge in itself. Their helpline gave good assistance in locating the Chagford Recreational Trust account then how to create the challenge page. Updating it has eluded me!
28 swimmers took up the challenge, the last 2 signed up in the final couple of days – the enthusiasm of all & determination of some of the swimmers to reach their own goals has been impressive!
The generosity of those sponsoring the swimmers or donating separately has surpassed all expectations!
And in ONE month this is what has been achieved:
- 7485 Lengths = 254.5 km swum.
- The N Devon & E Devon coasts have been completed. That is 188km (5730 lengths).
- 5km of the S Devon coast has been swum going east from Plymouth. Almost Salcombe.
- One swimmer challenged herself to complete the E Devon coast, 50km, & having completed that kept swimming. What an achievement!
- Because the overall total was so big the decision was made in the first week to allow swimmers to include their lengths swum since July when the pool opened. Some did, some didn’t.
- The youngest swimmers were 7 & 9 years & the age range extended to over 70!
- The JustGiving page today is showing £2955 (plus £605 Gift Aid). There is £99 in cash so:
£3659 raised (& maybe more to come)
A huge thank you to the swimmers for fundraising and to all who have donated.
By being involved you have been supporting the pool through this very difficult year and, hopefully, helped it to be in a stronger position for the start of the 2021 season.